Sunday, May 5, 2013

Remembering them

Today is International Bereaved Mothers Day. I'd never heard of it until recently. The story behind it is basically this: Mothers Day (the traditional one) was started by a woman named Anna, in honour of her mother Ann, who had lost seven babies. Somewhere along the line it's shifted from being a day that lovingly celebrates all mums, to a day that makes card companies and florists a ton of money. Have you ever tried finding a Mothers Day card for a bereaved mum? I have, due to a card exchange I'm participating in. And it was ridiculously hard! Two different shops (including a newsagency that had heaps of cards), and I found one that was just good enough. Mothers Day was founded by someone honouring their own bereaved mum, and now they aren't really catered for at all. Hence, International Bereaved Mothers Day was founded.

In honour of that, today I'm thinking today of these precious babes that I'll meet one day in Heaven.





And the precious babies gone too soon, whose names I do not know but whose short existence I will always remember.




7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh! Thank you for including my Evie <3

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Prayers and thoughts are with you all xx

Larissa said...

Thanks :)

Amanda Schulze said...

Thank you for sharing this, Larissa. <3

I have shared a link to your blog on mine, which is about my grief journey after the loss of my son Maddox. Maddox was stillborn at 39 weeks on December 13, 2011.

http://mommytomaddox.blogspot.com/

Larissa said...

Thanks for linking my blog. And I'm sorry your Maddox wasn't with you for longer. I'll read through your blog.

Unknown said...

Larissa,

Thank you so much for including Lucy. It was so wonderful to see her name there - Lucy's daddy and I so appreciate you remembering her in this way.

And thank you for telling the story of Bereaved Mother's and Mother's Days. I hadn't heard of them before your post and Lisa's at The Stars Apart (formerly Dear Finley). I wish I had known sooner, but that's okay, I know now.

Thank you again for your great kindness.
<3

Larissa said...

You are most welcome Kerlie. I know how much I love seeing my Ariella's name, and I thought you might feel similarly about Lucy.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox