Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013

2013.

At midnight on December 31 2012, I stood with some of my closest friends on a beach, laughing as we tried madly to light sparklers with no success and then tried to get some flame from another group on the beach. As we watched the fireworks to the north and south of us I was full of anticipation for 2013. In one sense, it was a year of unknown: was Baby going to be a girl or a boy? Would they come early or late? What job would my husband find? How would I handle life with a newborn? But in another sense, I thought I knew what 2013 would hold: a baby.

And I suppose it did. Our sweet Ariella Jade was born at 9am on January 30 and we got to spend two whole days with her. Our baby; our forever baby.

That’s why I’m not ready to say goodbye to 2013. It will always be the only year in which we got to hold our daughter. I cannot say it was the worst year of my life, because it contained some of the best moments of my life. In 2013 we got to meet our baby, hold her, name her and create memories with her. In no other year will I get to clothe her, snuggle her or read to her, so 2013 cannot be all bad. In addition to that, I’ve spent 37 weeks of 2013 pregnant with Baby #2; it’s been hard and draining, but also wonderful. Feeling a little life wriggle about and knowing that at least one of my children is alive. I cannot say 2013 has been all bad. On the flipside, 2013 also contained the worst moments of my life: the drive to the hospital assuming that our baby had died, the confirmation ultrasound, leaving the hospital room and later, the funeral home.

When I stood on the beach one year ago, I had no idea what would occur exactly 4 weeks later. I miss that innocence, thinking that the worst that could happen was that our sparklers wouldn’t light and that 2013 was going to be an incredible year. I guess all I can say is that it has been an incredible roller coaster.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Big hugs and Happy New Year. We pray that this one will have more joy than sadness, more laughter than tears and blessings in abundance. We love you and will be praying for you as you go into 2014.

Sarah said...

I know exactly how you feel. I felt that way about 2012 - it was Evie's year. 2013 saw none of her. Suffice it to say my New Year's celebration last year wasn't so celebratory. I will be praying for you and praying that 2014 holds mountains of blessings <3

Larissa said...

Thank you Julie :) Praying for you and yours too

Larissa said...

Yes, we weren't so celebratory last night (in bed before midnight...)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox