Friday, January 10, 2014

Welcome to the World

If I don't post much over the next few weeks, here's the reason why:

Levi William
January 4, 2014
5:37pm
2.95kg (6lb 8oz)
48.5cm (19")

About 15 hours old

Isn't he just the sweetest? I had an appointment with my midwife at the hospital on Friday afternoon, and while there, contractions started. We decided to stay at the hospital until birth, but after a few hours I fell asleep and woke up in the morning to discover that labour had stopped! We were grateful for the sleep and that I didn't have to labour through the night again (like with Ariella), but it did mean that I needed help to get labour started again. After about 7 hours of labour, our little Levi was born.

With Ariella's Lioness; my two babies

Words really can't describe the relief we felt when he was born. I finally had a baby who curled up. I'm told he did a few little cries as my midwife passed him to me, but I don't remember that. All I remember is that he was curled up. I was mesmorised and he was alive. That's all that mattered. We feel truly blessed to have him with us and one of the best feelings I have ever felt was walking out of the birth centre with him in my arms. I didn't have to leave him there and in the words of my midwife, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face! 

Loving holding my boy close

We came home the following afternoon and have been enjoying having our precious boy with us at home. Everyone always talks about the loss of sleep when there's a newborn but I am actually sleeping better the past six nights than I have since we found out Ariella had died. Levi wakes once or twice a night for a nappy feed and then goes back to sleep, and after 12 months of waking closer to a dozen times a night due to grief and anxiety, I'm loving only waking a few times and being greeted by this face:

Sweetly awake, 1.5 days old
A number of people have asked us why we chose the name Levi William. Well, Levi means promise. We knew from the start that God had promised us this child, so there was no doubt that this name was meant to be his. William means resolute protector. God has big plans for this little boy and we know he will grow up to protect his siblings, both Ariella's memory and any future siblings should they happen. 

So there you have it. He's here, he's safe, I don't have to give him back. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go stare at my baby :)


10 comments:

MsMidge said...

Congratulations! Beautiful news :)

Anita Schicker said...

Hi, someone share your article on FB and his picture just drew me in! He is so tiny and adorable and you write so beautifully. So wonderful to read of the healing transformation (which is reflected in your ability to sleep) that his arrival has given you. Congratulations, so so happy for you :)

Sarah said...

He is just so precious Larissa. Words truly can't describe how happy I am for you and how much hope you and Levi have given me ... praying I can share news like this in about five more months. Much love to you, Marcus, Ariella, and sweet baby Levi <3

Susie said...

So special and wonderful. I'm extremely happy for you (although have never met you) but shared your grief through your sister's blog. He is totally adorable and I'm sure his big sisters spirit will guide and protect him.

Brittany said...

This brought tears to my eyes, I am so so happy for you! <3

Larissa said...

Thanks!

Larissa said...

Thank you :) His arrival has certainly brought a lot of healing.

Larissa said...

That's my prayer for you too, dear Sarah <3

Larissa said...

Thank you Susie :)

Larissa said...

Thanks Brittany <3

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Franchesca Cox